The village is on the south facing slope of the River Yealm valley. The village’s shops are on Newton Hill: there is a co-op; a Post Office selling fruit, veg, magazines and clothes; a pharmacy; a butcher who also sells cold meat and cheese; and an estate agent. Newton Ferrers has one pub, The Dolphin, along with a Yacht Club which are both on the waterfront. During the summer a river taxi takes passengers on regular trips between Newton Ferrers Harbour, Warren Point (for access to Wembury and its beach) and Noss Mayo.
History of Holy Cross Church
People have worshipped on the site of Holy Cross for over 900 years. A church on this site is first mentioned on the Saxon Geld Roll of 1084, when ‘St Mary of Newton’ was one of those lands held free from geld (tax). At that time the church is likely to have been a simple timber building, probably occupying what is now the west end.